Monday, August 11, 2008

The Fair

Every year we go to Missouri at this time. We are usually gone for about a month and love taking in the 100 degree 100 percent humidity weather, our hometown picnic that serves up the best chicken and dumplings and kettle beef, ice cream, and bingo, Hoeckele's Bakery, the lake and of course our families . However, this year we decided to change things up. We are thinking that we will exchange our month long trip for a weekend in September. It's my ten year class reunion. So, because we stayed him for the first time in four years we got to experience our first Ventura County Fair. I will just say that we loved it. We went Thursday night for the Plain White T's concert, a little fair food, and the fireworks. We just couldn't resist not taking in that fair aroma one more time so we took a jaunt up north again yesterday. What a fun day! We had roasted corn, fried snickers and oreo's, a Pink's Dog, lemonade, and Tim couldn't leave without having nachos. The funnel cake looked fabulous but we didn't go there. We rode a few rides , took in the rodeo (my first that I can ever remember going to), looked at the 4H animals, fed a few horses, and finished up the night by watching the fireworks. What a great time. I have to say that next year it's going to be a hard decision about what to do come August...go to Missouri or stay home for the fair. Oh yeah, the weather was about 72degrees with low humidity, right on the ocean!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

How fun! I SOOO miss the Ventura weather. It has been so cold and overcast here for the past couple of months. Everyone keeps promising that it'll get nice and warm in Sept./Oct. so we'll see...

Sarah said...

I have a friend who just moved to Monterey a little over a month ago and she said that your weather has been really cool and grey. That makes summer, not summer. What a bummer. It's been suprisingly nice here this summer. She has a three year old little girl...do you have any suggestions for fun things to do? Her husband is in a very intense school so it is kind of like she is by herself.

Susanne said...

You could suggest the Children's Museum. I have a season pass and take the kids there on a montly basis (even without a season pass, it's pretty cheap). I spend a LOT of time there on the months that Nate's working graveyard shift and the house needs to be quiet for him to sleep. But honestly, I've gotten used to it being cold, so I take the kids to the park all the time and even the beach. We just bring our jackets. :-) But you should give her my e-mail address. I go to a weekly playgroup and I've made a lot of friends because of it.